Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Spending the Money You Don't Have

I was just talking to a fellow friend who confessed to me about his financial problems. 

Really...I never thought this guy has financial problems because he drives a Mercedes and he has another car, Grand Livina, and would alternate these cars with his wife who lives in another states.

I remember his remarks when I was impressed the first time seeing him driving the Mercs to work...

"Nak merasa".....that was what he said.

And I was thinking he must have some sort of extra income or family fortune, because considering his job (and my job too!), I never imagined one could ever afford a Mercs.

Until we chatted just now....and now I know the reality, and the reality bites!

He is in huge debt....and now registered with AKPK to help him with the debt management.

Katanya dia ada beberapa kad kredit yg semuanya dah had limit dan tak mampu nak bayar even minimum payments. Bermulanya hutang kad kredit ini sebab dia nak buat bisnes, jadi kad kredit adalah jalan pintas utk membeli barang2. Lepas tu banyak la lagi hutangnya, personal loans, yg katanya berhutang demi utk menolong ahli keluarga yg terdesak.

Saya tak terkata apa.....cuma terfikirkan kereta Mercs nya sahaja. I mean, if you are really in that huge debt, why don't you just let go that luxurious car? Why would maintain a car which obviously very costly with its petrol usage and services?

I don't want to judge him...Just ceritanya would be a self-reflection to me....

Credit cards, instalments, personal loans - are all about spending the money you don't have, isn't it?

Especially for credit card when you failed to pay it back in cash and keep the debt amount increasing with the interest rates and continuous usage?

I do have credit card, used to have 3 cards before but I terminated 2 of it and just keep one. Because I am scared of losing control in "spending this money I don't actually have".

I still have my study loan to pay and I am paying it diligently every month, although it's only RM100/month.

And really, really trying to be wise in buying things and spending money....it's hard, because all the temptations around and card credits would make it so easy to purchase anything.

Except for the house and car loans, my husband and I try as hard as possible to avoid purchasing anything with instalment. 

The temptations are always there - when you look at the new furnitures, or new gadgets, or some electronics devices, the home deco, vacations, etc.....

When I'm tempted, cik HB would console me and said "we save the money first". And vice-versa.

Buat hutang memang senang, tapi bayar hutang boleh jadi sangat susah. Jadi kena cuba la mencegah diri dari membuat hutang yang tak perlu. Biar la rumah kosong takde perabot atau perabot dah usang bagai....tahan hati dulu. Kebanyakan orang yang terjebak dengan hutang yg tak perlu ini kata sbb nak merasa...mcm kes kawan saya yg pakai Mercs ni....tapi lepas tu pening kepala fikir cemana nak bayar hutang, kan?

Meh kita belajar menabung dulu eh....Insyaallah, ada rezeki mampu la nak beli apa2 yang diidamkan kan?

Elakkan dari berhutang (*peringatan utk diri sendiri!)

1 comments:

durra abd razak @ kocikin... said...

Biar papa...asal bergaya ;) tagline yg selalu org guna..tp kitorang pun guna c.c. utk benda2 yg perlu mcm flight tickets..n lepas guna je..terus bayar...stress c.c company dpt client mcm ni..xleh nak buat duit...moga kita x terjebak dgn 'virtual money' ni...bahaya...