Pages

Friday, May 2, 2008

A Very Challenging Day

The kembara gave problem again...and twice in a day...*sigh* Just last month, the fuel pump went kaput, this time around another thing came out pulak...

First, I was driving to work early in the morning when suddenly the engine went dead. And I was in the midst of overtaking a lorry ( I took highway that morning, nasib baik la!). Half panic, I quickly pushed the emergency light button, and pulled over to the emergency lane. Luckily, there was no vehicle speeding behind my car, if not just imagine the worst...

Since I'm a car illiterate person, I didn't bother to open up the engine coz I couldn't tell what was wrong with the car. So I called up my husband first, just telling him what's going on and not to worry (though I hope he can come instantly, but it was very far, I was about 15km more to reach Yong Peng) coz I was going to call the PLUS hotline. After a while, two PLUS policemen came to my rescue. There was an Indian guy came along with a separate car, who happened to be a guy working for workshop, searching around for car break down. They opened up the engine but upon seeing my fuel meter (which was nearly empty, but not reaching empty actually, it's just doesn't function well), they said my car probably running out of fuel, that's why it went kong. I argued, saying that I knew it wasn't the fuel problem (ok, I said I was illiterate about car but I've learnt few things now) coz I've pumped in petrol before I left Melaka. Though only RM20, (I can pump in full tank at Yong Peng only in order to get petrol claim) I know it's enough to travel from Melaka to Yong Peng coz I always do it. But they did not believe me, ok..that's fine..I think because I'm a lady here and I needed their help, so I stopped arguing. They said they would buy me some petrol at the nearest pump station, so I gave them some money and they left. However, the Indian guy stayed with me. He was just looking when the policemen checked my car, now they had left, he introduced himself properly and asked whether he could look at my car. Well, I know this fellow could be some prankster, taking advantage on my situation but since I have to wait for the policemen to come back, I really needed a company, so why not?

The Indian guy turned out to be a good chatter. And since I had series of problems with my kembara, I tried to act as if I know lots about car, and I think he was quite impressed when I asked him whether my car having the fuel pump problem again ( I just didn't want him to think that I know nuts about car) He also thought that it wasn't about the fuel, but he said he couldn't 'tunjuk pandai' in front the policemen. But he also couldn't tell what's wrong with my car, he said must take it back to workshop (oh yeah? I didn't buy his words, I know things about this ulat towing issues). Anyway, we chatted a lot about many things (it was a long waiting for the policemen to come back). I think the guy willing to stay because if my car really breakdown, he could ask his man to tow my car to his workshop. And as I expected, after sometime a tow truck came. I asked the Indian guy whether he called this tow truck to come but he denied it, saying that it was a coincident that the driver was on the way back from Pagoh going towards Yong Peng. Even the driver said he met the policemen who supposed to buy petrol for me at Pagoh, they were the ones told him about me. And the driver told me that the policemen were having drinks at the time he met them. Oh boy.....

After waiting about an hour, finally the policemen came. They filled up my tank with the petrol, tried start the engine but nothing happened. Then they checked the engine again, connect here and there ( I was totally out of what they were saying) and finally managed to start my engine. The policemen told me that one of the fuse had burnt, now that they have provided the jumper, my car should be ok. I was so relieved at the fact that my car need not to be towed away.

The guys checking my car

So I resume my journey to Yong Peng. But after I paid my toll fee, my car went down again. And apparently the tow truck was just behind me. He came out and smiled to me and said he knew that this would happen. Takde cakap byk punya, he quickly had my car attached to his truck and I rode with him to go to his workshop. Luckily the workshop just about less than 2km from the toll, and right in front my office. I quickly called my supervisor, Bala to come coz I needed his opinion about fixing my car. Bala came right away. I asked the tow truck's driver how much did I have to pay him for the towing service, he said that was up to me. So I handed him RM20 (I didn't know whether it's the right amount but he took it, thanked me and drove away).

Thanks to Bala, he was the one talking to the Chinese mechanic about my car, I just listened. The mechanic said my car will be fixed by the end of the day, so I left and went to work. Late afternoon I received the call from the mechanic, telling me that I could take my car. And guess how much it was...RM300++. I asked Bala's help to fetch and deal with the mechanic on the high charge coz Bala has been helping me all this while when I have issues with workshops. Bala managed to get the charge reduced but still it was RM200++.

I have just drove a few kilometres away from my office and it went kong again. Luckily I didn't enter the toll, I was using the trunk road, so I called the Chinese mechanic to come. He came, fixed something and asked me to drive back to his workshop. I was really dissatisfied because I have paid so much yet my car broke down again. The other mechanic (I think he's the boss) came to explain. Before he did, I called HB and let the mechanic talked to him. The way the mechanic talked, I knew HB screwed him up. The mechanic said he had changed the fuses and checked the wiring, so only now he knew the culprit was this air-cond relay. He said I have to take my car to car air-cond shop to change the relay (hey, I thought everything is under one roof!). He said I can drive all the way back to Melaka coz he had disconnected the relay off, it would no longer cause the short-circuit problem. I called HB again and he said since the mechanic had confirmed that way, then I just go home. But I took hi-way of course and not turning on my air-cond.

Unfortunately, just about 4km to reach Ayer Keroh toll, my car went dead again!!!! So called HB again just to inform him and then called the PLUS hotline number and waited. Two policemen came after a while (this time from Tangkak section, the morning one from Yong Peng section). And of course their first question was "Minyak habis tak?" So there I was explaining the whole day event about my car. And unfortunately, they did not have any apparatus to provide the temporary wiring to the fuse so they towed my car to the Ayer Keroh toll. One of the policemen maneuvered my car's steering and we had a little chat. He said I was lucky enough that my car did not break down at one spot on the hi-way, somewhere between Pagoh and Yong Peng ( I think he mentioned KM 127) He said, those vehicles having break downs at the area, had experienced their vehicles being shook by "budak kecik". Spooky, huh?

I really felt emotionally down with this constant occurrences of car break down. At the moment the kembara is still parked at the toll, supposed to get mechanic to fix it, but since yesterday was Labor Day, workshops nearby were closed. This morning, cik HB drove me to work all the way from Melaka and currently I'm waiting for him to fetch me up. Pity him has to drive around 400km today but I have no choice. I can't take leave.

This is why I think I can't wait to resign.....

6 comments:

Zara in Germany said...

hrmmm maybe it's time to upgrade to a german car...heheh

Neny said...

Kalau keta sendiri boleh la di considerkan utk tukar tapi tu keta company. Setakat ni aku dah merayu nak tukar keta tp xde keta lain lagi..huk..huk..huk

Ajzie said...

adoiiiiiiii kesian nyaaaaa.. Tentu letih kan...

Zetty said...

i am an owner of Kembara. The pain of owning a Kembara, memang tak boleh nak cerita la. sakit jiwa!

Zetty said...

i am an owner of Kembara. The pain of owning a Kembara, memang tak boleh nak cerita la. sakit jiwa!

Neny said...

Kak Ajzie: Mmg penat, balik rumah sy rasa down giler. Tp sy still bersyukur dlm keadaan mcm tu ada yg membantu.

Zetty: I've been reading ur blog n know things about ur kembara. Well, i thought u were saying about getting new car kan?