Pages

Monday, March 17, 2008

It's the Year of Weddings!

We called my MIL recently and was shocked to hear that my sister-in-law who will graduate from medic school this April is going to get engaged in this coming June and get married a month after that!

When I met MN during CYN holidays last month in KB, we have heard that she has registered with Health Ministry to be posted to Sarawak! When most people in the Peninsular try to escape from being posted to the East Malaysia (Sarawak/Sabah), she herself has voluntarily chose to go there. My MIL and the rest of the family were jumping when we heard that but she explained that rather than in the risk being posted anywhere around Malaysia, it's better for her to volunteer to go there as she will get some benefits and privileges. She said she only has to be there for 2 years, could come home for every Raya breaks and after 2 years she could choose any location to be transfered. My MIL though not happy with her decision, she would never object it. But all she said, MN must get marry first before going there. I thought it was just a joke, knowing how much MIL worries that MN will probably fall in love with a Sarawakian and choose to reside there forever! Well, I couldn't blame her, I guess all mothers if possible, wish that their children marry someone next door so that they could assure they can see them more often.

But none of us had any idea whether she has a boyfriend or not. I personally had asked her about this several times, but she positively said she was single. But I know that the youngest sister in the family, M has boyfriend. Even her boyfriend's mother has called MIL asking for her hand! And MIL has nicely rejected because M is still studying. They have to wait until she graduates.

And suddenly now MN got hitched! Since it was my husband who was talking to MIL, I couldn't get detailed info. And being a guy, cik HB did not ask that detailed lah! After he hang up, he explained what he has heard from his mother. That MN going to be engaged in June, then wedding in July and the soon-to-be husband is from Perlis, currently is working as a lecturer in UiTM, Sarawak. So I decided to call MN herself to get the juicy info.

MN just laughed when she heard my voice asking about the wedding. I jokingly accused her for being secretive when we were in KB that CYN holidays. She said she didn't mean to drop a bomb like that but the decision has been made just recently. And I was astonished to hear the details of her story......

MN knew the guy couple of months ago when she and a group of friends decided to go to Sarawak for their first duty as doctors. So some friends contacted their friends who are coming from Peninsular but working there to get details about living in Sarawak (sounds like Sarawak is a foreign country, huh? But it is in over the sea, so going to Sarawak, still going oversea, isnt'it?....hehehe).

This guy is one of the friends who works in Sarawak. So somehow MN was introduced to this guy and they started e-mailing and SMS'ing each other after that. I don't know how was the love started, and how they came up with the idea of getting married, I didn't ask. But I'm quite amazed with their decision coz they haven't meet each other yet in the reality world. Yes, they have exchanged photos (MN also forwarded his photo to me via e-mail, and he's cute!!!). Isn't it a bold step in accepting a wedding proposal, not knowing much about your future-spouse-to-be? No, I'm not going to judge her decision, I think so does my in-laws family. I also don't believe that being in a relationship before getting married will ensure a happy marriage though I've been in 7 years of courtship with my dear cik HB before we got married. I think being in love after the wedding is most important provided we have chosen the right person to be our soulmate. And MN is a responsible person all this while, I believe she probably has done solat istikarah before she made her decision. I pray that this couple is blessed by Allah S.W.T.

However, MN's news has caused a chaos in my annual leave plan. See, not only MN is going to have wedding this year, but so does her elder sister and my own sister! My own sister's wedding is in this May and MN's elder sister's is in this coming August. I checked with MN whether she and her sister, MK going to have combined wedding ceremony, but MN said no. I understand why MK refuses to it, as she has planned meticulously for her wedding. She got engaged last year, and we've been discussing about her wedding preparation ever since. And she needs to have the ceremony to be held during school breaks as she is a school teacher and has confirmed the date with her fiancee's family. And I'm sure she has arrangement with the wedding boutique, the card supplier and the list could go on. And MN could not wait until MK's wedding which tentatively will be held at the end of August as she needs to report duty in Sarawak sometime in early August.

It looks like my PIL have no choice but to arrange for two wedding ceremonies in two month time consecutively. Hard works, huh? And for me, to re-plan the leave schedule gives me a headache. I'm supposed to go for a family get-away this April, since cik HB is going to go for his students' practical training visits, so we thought we can turn it into a family vacation as well. But I need to take 2 days leave for that. So now I have to cancel that and save the leaves for the weddings purposes. Few days dedicated for the one in May, one in July and another one in August. And we have to fork out more money for balik kampung travelling expenses, sponsorship for some items in wedding ceremony, and not forgetting buying presents for the newly-wed couples. Phew!!! I've been cracking my head preparing the budget and time for the previous two weddings, now I have another wedding to think about.

Well, guess 2008 is the year of weddings for my families, huh?

3 comments:

areT said...

selamat pengantin baru utk adik ipar..heheheh

Anonymous said...

bakal adik ipar org mane, neny?..

Neny said...

Bakal adik ipar (tunang adik sy) org Sabak Bernam, bakal biras2, sorang Perlis sorang Kelate....ramainya sy kena berkenalan....hehehehe