Pages

Friday, February 1, 2008

Fight Against Junk Food

Yesterday when I came back, the twins greeted me by showing Winnie the Pooh packs of goodies. Yeah...it means there was another birthday party again at their nursery. The second after they started going there since last month. Their mouths already full with candies, and still holding whatever junk food in the pack. I really don't like this especially when I have tried my best all this while to avoid them from eating junk food.

My husband told me he only managed to hide some of the junk food he thought very very unhealthy. Guess could be like Chikedees or Twisties . Luckily, my husband is also very concern about the kids eating junk food eventhough he himself likes to eat Twisties. He only eats it when the kids are not around. At home, we only keep healthy snacks....we have raisins, cheese, plain biscuits, nuts, fruits and chocolate. Sometimes I give them Chipsmore but Nabihah would ask for more and more. Nabihah could finish one small pack of Chipsmore by herself. That's why if I buy Chipsmore, I don't show the pack and I have to hide the biscuit container.

When they were under the care of my previous babysitter in KL, I was a bit worried cause besides my twins, the babysitter also has another child under her care. Every morning when I sent them, I always bumped into the child's parents. And the parents always brought the junk food along with the child. The child actually came after my twins and when he switched from his previous babysitter to my babysitter, he was going into 2 years old, which is a difficult age to accept stranger in their life. So I guess the junk food is a way to bribe the child not to throw tantrums when the parents left him at the babysitter's house. So every morning I saw him holding a bottle of 100 Plus and few packs of Potato chips or Twisties. I know I shouldn't judge the parents but I really really disagree with the junk food things. And I was so worried that my twins will ask for that stuff coz they were 1 year old plus that time and they tend to ask food from people around them. But luckily, my babysitter also very concern about the junk food thing but she couldn't do anything coz it is provided by the parents themselves. So she assured me that she would prevent my twins from eating them. It's so good when you have a babysitter that you can rely on. However, the child didn't stay long with my babysitter as there were so many things happened and my babysitter and the parents didn't seem to get along. Well...I was not surprised...hehehe. Then when we moved to Melaka, my sister took care of them for a while and it was lot better to control what they eat. So basically they were safe from junk food.

I know I can't control what they eat forever and I know once they go to school it's a lot harder to make sure that they won't eat junk food. I also grew up eating lots of junk food. And I know I grew up healthily ( or at least I think...) And junk foods are very convenient, delicious to taste and easily available. Who would resist a pack of potato chips especially Pringler, it's so nice to munch on it, right? But from my reading and observation, I have realized that junk food is really really bad on one's health especially on a child.

I got colleague who complained that her child who was aged at 2 years at that time refused to sleep at night and very very active. Can't even sit still for a second. He was then diagnosed having hyperactive syndrome. Apparently he was fed with too much of junk food and it was believed to be the contributor of the problem. I'm not sure how far true is this but whatever it is junk food is still bad.

So what can I do with these pack of goodies from the birthday party? I'm sure I can't blame the nursery coz it wasn't them who provide it. It's the birthday child's parents, of course. And if I tell the teacher not to give to my twins, then I'm so over reacted, am I not? I don't know...I just hope that other parents will have some senses when buying snack goodies for the birthday party including us.

And since I'm making a big fuss about this, I should start planning for my own kids' birthday party huh?

2 comments:

-dal- said...

aku pun tak tau camaner le kalau aku ada anak nanti ... aku ni suka gila makan junk food, lansung tak bleh menjadi teladan. Mungkin aku akan makan kat opis jer kot.

Mmg btak elok makan njunk food ni.. nanti ala-ala pelupa macam aku nih.

areT said...

aku pasrah je...hehehehhe..aku suka makan.. takde halangan kat aku...